Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Live music at Flèche d'Or in Paris

When I went to a gig or concert, I wanted to enjoy listening to music rather than filming or taking photos. I thought I would never want to ruin the enjoyment of music.
But when I started photography, things became a bit different. I told myself that I want to give it a chance to capture those moments when musicians play with zest and are spurred on to give the best of their performance.
I enjoy small gigs by indie musicians whom I discovered in the course of time. There were quite a few places in Paris offering these musicians a place to play, and music lovers, a modest ticket,  to come, enjoy and recognize these artists. Most of these places have a pub-like or bar-like ambiance, with a small stage not far from the audience. One of these places was Flèche d'Or. It was near where I lived. I took a bus and I was there in 10 minutes.
I went there several times to take photos. Here are some of them. For all photos on each gig, you can click on the link on my flickr page.

Here are two from "Plants and Animals", a Canadian based indie rock band from my new city, Montreal.




Listen to "Lola who"and "undone Melody on their myspace page.

The following three are from "Band of Skulls". They are from London and are alternative. Their debut album "Baby darling doll face honey" has quite a few good tracks including "Fire", "honest" and "cold flame". You can listen to the first 2 songs on their myspace page and I will include the third one below the photos.


Emma, was the first female bassist I saw.


It was one of those very crowded gigs at Flèche d'Or that I even had to get permission to take photos.

And here's "cold flame"



"Viva and the Diva", a Paris based experimental band is comprised of Maxime Delpierre, Sir Alice, Arnaud Roulin and Mark Kerr. Their performance was perhaps the most hardcore I had seen. Do check some of the experimental jazz works by Delpierre and if the band has a gig, don't hesitate to go.
Here are some photos from the frenzied Sir Alice.




If you're in Paris, check out the programs on Parisian, l'international and Flèche d'Or. The 2 latter are venues and there are often good shows there.

No comments:

Post a Comment