Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Life in Paris I

Me: What do you advise? Any books to read? How can I become a good photographer?
Alfred: Just take photos, that's all I can tell you. You will not learn from books. You learn through the process of taking photos. Your photos should tell a story.
Reza: Take your camera with you everyday when you go to work. Get out half an hour earlier than you do and just take photos. When you come home, edit your photos you took on that day and get used to it.

And so that's what I did. I took my camera with me about 75% of the days and most of the photos I took, were on the way to and back from work.
I'm gonna share some of them with you here. You can click on the right of my blog to see more on my flickr page.


This is the one I shot on the first day that I took my camera to work with me. It was on the tram; I went 2 more stations after my stop to take it. The questioning look on the child's face is adorable. What do you think s/he asking?



In most big cities, people use metro on the daily basis and Paris is one of them. On this daily routine, some who travel a long distance, use this underground route and travel time, to sleep. This shows how people are sleep deprived and how city life has divested people from one of their basic needs.


This is another one, a poor woman, on the way back home at midnight. 



I think a river in a city, gives a totally different ambiance to it. There is a kind of liveliness that is brought by water, an inspiration for artists and a delightful peace for others who saunter by the river bank or stroll on the bridges. In the case of Paris, people would even sit on Pont des Arts, drink wine while enjoying their time with friends and socializing. 



Such a scene is something you can easily find in Paris, be it near the Seine, Bassin de l'Arsenail or Canal St Martin. 

As I said, not only near Seine, but also by Bassin de l'Arsenail, people, young and old, spend quality time together.


This one is also on the bank of Seine. Even seeing this scene made me feel peaceful.


"If your photos are not good enough, you're not close enough". This is what I remember of Robert Capa, when I see some of my photos, including this one. 

I'm gonna stop here since I have more posts with photos of Paris. Please let me know if you have trouble loading the page on my blog. 

5 comments:

  1. I think all the pictures you have taken are nice. I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ryan. Glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I like the black and white. Also, great use of the location... Waiting for some more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Isar,I like black & white in documentary as well. It is more original.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the one where the couple and their kid are all asleep and can't imagine it would have been better in any other angle.

    ReplyDelete