Thursday, August 5, 2010

Where is Home?

Home is a notion which has occupied my mind for  a while. Where do we call home? Where do we feel home? Is home the place you are born or the place you've lived most of your life?

Still I haven't found a unique  answer to these questions.
I met people who were born in a country like Lebanon, Iran, Australia and since at least one of their parents were from that country, they're originally from there. They then moved to another country like France, UK, the states or … when young or still a kid, and lived the rest of their lives in the immigrated country. Yet, when they want to visit the country where they were born, they say: “I'm going home” and when they finished their visit in the Home country, they say: “I'm going back to US” or any country for that matter.
I've seen the opposite as well, but the first scenario is more common.

Talking to a friend who had left Iran when he was a kid, he said that since he traveled a lot, he always took his teapot with him, to have a piece of Home wherever he went. “Then I realized that I can find different elements in each place which can convey the notion of Home for me, like the smell of some local fruits and flowers; and so I find my Home in different places.”, he said.

As for me, since one of my self-indulgence is food, cooking myself an Iranian food or drinks, is one habitual hankering for Home; but when I read Persian literature or poems, watch an Iranian movie or listen to some Iranian songs, the notion of Home intensifies and deepens.

There is definitely a physical notion to Home. There is a tramp who has been living in front of the building I live since 10 months ago. He sometimes leaves in day and comes back at night to sleep on the ventilation grill he's been occupying ever since. So this man finds a sense of Home in this particular place that brings him back there every night.

While I was lost in my thoughts, I saw this man in the street and took a shot. What is in this cardboard that defines Home? I couldn't help but wonder

5 comments:

  1. Added your weblog to my google reader. Hope you can continue.
    Amin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amin. I will have a post dedicated to our conversation the other day.
    Asieh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    Nice you have started a blog, and for that matter, I love and believe the title of your blog. I, myself am struggling (or perhaps rather musing on how to) feel this uniqueness and unrepeatability of life; Or perhaps I should live some way to give me this sense (I believe in the latter case more). Some periods of time I have felt life that way and it was one of the most joyous experiences I have ever had. Wonderful.

    Hope you continue blogging (Well, it doesn't matter much if you didn't, you will continue living and experiencing ;) ). I look forward to reading this.

    Cheers my good old pal,
    An old (trying to be young and enthusiastic :D) friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. @good old pal:
    I am aiming to write at least twice a week. I hope it works and I can stick to it and show some commitment.
    Thanks for the comment. I do hope people leave any comment they wish and criticize as well if they think they should, without letting the friendship boundary affect it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you probably WILL get criticism from ME if there's something I think I should publicly disagree!

    Take care Acey!

    ReplyDelete