Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Travelling Band


It was last week, around this time, that I received the Parisian newsletter, the most informative newsletter of the  events, specially music gigs, in Paris for each day of the week. The recommendations so far were good.
While tackling with the codes I was writing, I gave myself a few minutes break to check out the events. The first event was "The Travelling Band" from Manchester. I clicked on the link to listen to their music on their myspace page. Boy it was awesome. I listened to the songs there, and when it came to "sweet city", I played it a few times in a row. I went back to check when they were performing in Paris. It was the same night!

My friend and I arrived at the venue at the supposed starting time but the show started an hour later. I am not a music critic so I don't intend to write a review or report.  I can only tell, that their music, although not old, but brings a sense of nostalgia and evokes a feeling of lightness, the kind that makes you so carefree, that you want it not to end.
The ebb and flow in "hindsight" and "screaming is something",  made me feel somewhere in the clouds. The melancholic tune of "Lanes of names", adds to the mystique aura of this song which turned into a chirpy tune after a few minutes.

Another feature of their music which I found quite appealing was unpredictability. Just at the moment, when the listeners were mesmerized by the mellow sounds, the band, deftly brought them out of their spellbound reverie. This was vivid in the performance of "Jess come over" followed by "only waiting" 
The zestful keyboard play by Jo,  Nick's vim and vigor on drums, Adam's virtuosic guitar play, accompanied by scintillating harmonies made their performance unforgettable. 

Perhaps the most memorable song for me from that night was "on the rails". The words still echo in my mind: "If I don't see you on that train, see you on the other side"

No comments:

Post a Comment